Monday, February 25, 2008

job interview

I arrived at this large, really tall business building and on the inside there were escalators in each corner that moved between the 1st and 2nd floors only. In this dream it was located in Beaverton, OR and we were living in the house I grew up in on Joyce St. in Woodburn, OR.
I checked in at the office I was sent to by a temp agency and she gave me 2 folders. One had my name on and the other had my interview time on it, which was 5:15. It was about 5:05 and so I decided to use the restroom beforehand. After I used the restroom, I, absent-mindedly walked out of the bathroom and down the hallway toward the escalators. I got in my car and drove all the way home (about 25 minutes). Just as I arrived home, the sprinklers came on in the front yard and they were the kind that shoot up and around like a ticker. (That is the kind my dad used to water the lawn when I was growing up). When I got out of the car, my hair got drenched. As I walked into the house, Will was showering the kids and in that moment, I snapped back to reality and realized that I left the building without doing the interview. I started to run out the door, but I realized that my hair was soaked, but not my clothes. I ran into the bathroom and was brushing furiously trying to get all the tangles out. I decided that if I didn't take the time to blow dry it I could make it back to that office for the interview. I knew I'd be a little late and the entire time I was driving back I was making up excuses for why I was late. I thought I'd tell them that I'd just found out I was pregnant and that I was feeling sick and didn't realize how long I'd been in the bathroom, etc. Just then I was thinking I'd have made it back, only being 15, maybe 20 minutes late (Hello! I had to drive all the way home, get wet, brush my hair, and then drive all the way back. Dream time....??) When I looked at the clock to gauge how much time I had left, it said 7:15. I was panicked. I thought there is no way these people are gonna believe I was in the bathroom for 2 hours. And I was worried that no one would be there since it was so late in the evening. So decided that I would tell them the truth.

I got back to the building and there were people everywhere. I went to the elevator to go up to the 2nd floor from the parking garage. As I was approaching the elevators a man got on the elevator going up and I shouted HOLD IT! HOLD IT! and he ignored me and let it close. I was SO MAD! The nerve of that guy! So the next elevator came and I went up to the office. The secretary looked at me with this stunned look. I tried to explain to her what happened, but I couldn't spit it out. I just kept stammering, so I finally just asked if the interviewer was still there. She said yes, but that she was on the 25th floor in a meeting.

So I went back to the elevator, but I couldn't find it! I was running around through this maze of corridors trying to find the cubby area with the elevators. When I finally found it, I got to the 25th floor and nearly knocked the interviewer lady over as I was coming off the elevator. She recognized me (even though I'd never met her before) and I explained to her that I had just found out I was pregnant and that I don't know what came over me. I told her I'd gone to use the bathroom and then absent mindedly went home. She told me to follow her and we went to this break room area where there was a group of women having a meeting. I sat in on the meeting (I don't recall what it was about or what was said). After it was over, I stood up and said, I am really sorry, I just want to apologize to you all for being so late and then went into the long involved story of what had happened. They all just sat there staring at me, looking like they were thinking, "And we care, WHY?!" Then the interviewer lady said to me that they were really looking for someone with a college degree and that they had already hired someone from an earlier interview. I protested saying that some people consider 1 year of cosmetology school like going to college. (PSH!!!) (END)

No comments: